There is greater uncertainty about the beginning of the celebration of the party. The first celebrations occurred, in fact, only spontaneously on August 17, 1126 when, after 86 years, the remains of the Saint, which had been stolen and transferred to Constantinople, were brought back to the city by two soldiers. Initially the celebrations were held only inside the cathedral but from 1376, the year of construction of the vara (fercolo), in wood, it is assumed that the celebrations as we know them have started, with the procession through the streets of the city. Furthermore, what is known is that until 1692 the party took place in one day, on February 4th. From 1712 the party took on greater importance by being structured over two days, on 4 and 5 February. This is probably due in large part to the fact that following the devastating earthquake of 1693 the city was rebuilt and took on ever larger dimensions, so as not to make the procession and the tour of the neighborhoods possible in one day.